• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What Herbs Are Good For The Stomach?

muie

Bluelighter
Myself and my dad both suffer from stomach problems except that I do very rarely and he does on a daily basis.

In Eastern European countries its is believed that St. John's Wort tea is good for stomach conditions, as well Chamomile is known to alleviate stomach problems.

When looking up Peppermint on google today I saw that Wikepedia states it is also good for stomach problems, however this is not very well know in East European countries. Over there Peppermint is used mostly for diareeah treatment and it is known that it if drank heavily causes constipation.

Persoanally I found out that a relatively strong cup of Chamomile tea (4g-5g in a small cup, 250ml-350ml of water) along with a few puffs of very high grade cannabis works amazing, however the cannabis has to be very high grade like I said and the Chamomile tea quite concentrated but neither alone would have worked as good as the combination which synergized perfectly for stomach problems.

I heard Wormwood was supposed to be good for this so I got some from a local store. The bags came in 1g-1.5g maximum. I let it infuse for only 30 seconds and the result was so bitter that both me and my dad gave up on it (honey couldn't mask anything with this tea).

I would like to hear other opinions, weather from personal experience or from tradition.

What kind of stomach problems are you talking about? There could be very many. If you could describe the sensation, when it occurs, etc. it would be helpful.

I love hot ginger tea, very very strong . I boil a whole ginger root sometimes ...and drink it without sugar or anything else. You can add a little honey to make it go down easier. I love the "burning" sensation in my throat and the warm feeling it gives my tummy!

I also drink organic apple cider vinegar after particularly heavy meals to aid my digestion amongst many other health benefits. You can read about it here : (Earthclinic has been very helpful to me..)

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html

I'd like to give a little word about the herbs and spices. Not all stomach pain is the same. Sometimes a lot of stomach acid or heartburn, together with skin inflammations and hot feelings, must be addressed with things that cool the body down, and lots of hot ginger, spicy food, or sour fruit/vinegar may make things worse. It may be a better idea in this case to eat light sweet fruit or fresh shakes (no ice) until your digestion gets better. Ginger tea is alright, but if there is too much heat in your body, you may want to take it in less concentration.

Maybe the OP can give more details on their condition and what aggravates it, and perhaps some info on what their current diet and lifestyle is like. Cheers :)